Challenging Words In The Article The Hindu | 17 June 2018
1. Conglomerate (noun): A large business consisting of several different companies. (कई कंपनियों का सम्मिलित व्यवसाय)
Synonyms: Corporation, Association, Union, Combination, Syndicate, Amalgamation
Antonyms: Individual, Disband, Separate, Split
Example: The billionaire’s conglomerate includes restaurants, convenience stores, and chain of hotels.
2. Denizens (noun): An inhabitant or occupant of a particular place. (निवासी)
Synonyms: Dweller, Native, Residents, Tenant
Antonyms: Foreigner, Immigrant, Alien, Tourist, Refugee
Example: The whale shark is the denizen of the ocean.
3. Meandering (adjective): A winding path or course. (घुमावदार, टेढ़ा-मेढ़ा)
Synonyms: Labyrinth, Tortuous, Circuitous, Serpentine, Sinuous
Antonyms: Straight, Direct, Undeviating, Focused.
Example: The railway track in the valley is meandering.
4. Largesse (noun): The fact of giving away money in a generous way. (उदारता, दानशीलता, दरियादिल)
Synonyms: Munificence, Magnanimity, Generosity, Philanthropy, Benevolence, Altruism
Antonyms: Meanness, Miserliness, Stinginess, Unkindness, Parsimony
Example: Because of the millionaire’s largesse, twenty under privileged graduates now have college scholarship.
5. Dyke (noun): A thick wall that prevents river or sea water flooding onto land. (बांध, भित्ति, तटबंध)
Synonyms: Barrier, Embankment, Trench, Dam, Levee, Mound
Example: Building an artificial dyke around the lower parts of the city was supposed to keep the city from flooding.
6. Imminent (adjective): Coming or likely to happen very soon. (जो निकट है और होने वाला है, आसन्न)
Synonyms: Impending, Forthcoming, Looming, Approaching
Antonyms: Distant, Far-Off, Unlikely, Remote
Example: He gave a dire warning that an earthquake was imminent.
7. Perennial (adjective): Lasting a very long time, or happening reputedly or all the time. (बारहमांसी, सार्वकालिक, नित्य)
Synonyms: Eternal, Perpetual, Abiding, Continual, Permanent, Everlasting
Antonyms: Occasional, Intermittent, Temporary, Infrequent, Ephemeral
Example: Because she is a perennial optimist, it’s unusual for anything to bring her down.
8. Zero In (phrasal verb): To direct all your attention to one thing. (किसी बात/चीज पे अपना ध्यान केन्द्रित करना)
Synonyms: Focus, Concentrate, Pinpoint, Highlight, Emphasize
Antonyms: Neglect, Ignore, Understate, Belittle
Example: We’ve zeroed in on the real problem- we don’t save enough money.
9. Anecdotal (adjective): Not necessarily true or reliable because it is based on personal account rather than proven facts. (उपाख्यानात्मक)
Synonyms: Unscientific, Informal, Unreliable, Untrustworthy
Antonyms: Scientific, Experimental, Proven, Factual, Authentic
Example: There is only anecdotal evidence that the medicine works.
10. Lampoon (verb): Publicity criticize, ridicule through text or speech. (निन्दालेख लिखना, व्यंग करना, हंसी उड़ाना)
Synonyms: Pasquinade, Burlesque, Parody, Travesty, Derision, Satirize
Antonyms: Flattery, Praise, Applaud, Approve, Support.
Example: Many celebrities are lampooned on this satirical website.
Related: Lampoon, Lampooned
Like our Facebook page: https://fb.com/padhobeta.2017
Join Our telegram Channel:
https://t.me/sscPadho for SSC
https://t.me/RailwayJobPrepration for railway exam
https://t.me/padhobeta for daily current affairs/GK/GS
https://t.me/Sarkari_Naukri for Government Job Alert
Follow On Twitter: https://twitter.com/Padhobeta_
daily vocabulary, Vocab The Hindu, word meaning from the Hindu, word meaning the Hindu with antonym and synonym, daily vocabulary, Vocab The Hindu, word meaning from the Hindu, word meaning the Hindu with antonym and synonym, daily vocabulary, Vocab The Hindu, word meaning from the Hindu, word meaning the Hindu with antonym and synonym, daily vocabulary, Vocab The Hindu, word meaning from the Hindu, word meaning the Hindu with antonym and synonym,